Every year, Florida International University Professor Stephen Leatherman – also known as Dr. Beach – ranks the best beaches in the U.S. To create the list he takes into account 50 different factors including sand, waves and parking. He’s been doing it since 1991, and he takes it pretty seriously.
Here are his 10 best picks for 2017 … just in time to plan your summer vacation:
- Siesta Beach – Siesta Key, Florida
- Kapalua Bay Beach – Maui, Hawaii
- Ocracoke Beach – Outer Banks, North Carolina
- Grayton Beach State Park – Grayton Beach, Florida
- Coopers Beach – Southampton, New York
- Coast Guard Beach – Cape Cod, Massachusetts
- Caladesi Island State Park – Dunedin-Clearwater, Florida
- Hapuna Beach State Park – Big Island, Hawaii
- Coronado Beach – San Diego, California
- Beachwalker Park – Kiawah Island, South Carolina
Would it kill Dr Beach to leave us off his list for once? Here's the thing: it's a double-edged sword. I'm proud to live in Tampa Bay, and I'm happy to see that others love it here too. But STOP TELLING TOURISTS HOW GREAT IT IS. We can't find beach parking as it is! LOL! I know that's selfish, but come on!