Man, business must be booming for AAA! Because the overwhelming majority of Americans are pretty helpless when it comes to basic automotive maintenance and troubleshooting.
A new survey found 68% of cars currently have at least one thing wrong with them. And when people were asked whether they could handle relatively simple fixes--like changing a tire--the answer for most was a resounding NOPE.
1. Could you add windshield washer fluid to your car? 30% aren't sure they could.
2. Could you replace your windshield wipers? 52% don't know if they could handle it.
3. Could you jump start your car if the battery died? 53% don't know if they could.
4. Could you put a spare tire on? 61% aren't sure. One in five don't even know how to use a gauge to check the tire pressure.
5. Could you replace a blown fuse? 63% aren't sure they could do it.
6. Could you change your own oil? 67% said no.
Now here's the craziest stat. Researchers showed people different photos of car parts. And 41% couldn't even identify which part was the ENGINE.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME??! They don't even know where then engine is?!
When I was about to get my driver's license, my mom made me learn to do basic maintenance before I was allowed to drive. I had to demonstrate that I could change a tire, check and refill my fluids, and change my oil. Now, I haven't changed my own oil in years, but I could if I needed to. I like being independent, and knowing how to do stuff for myself is something I'm extremely proud of, y'all! Thanks, mom, for making me learn all that stuff!
I had a series of old beaters back in the day that were in constant need of repair, and I was pretty happy that there was so much I could do on my own. At 19 years old, living on my own, I couldn't afford to pay someone to do all these things for me, so I'm glad I could do a lot of it for myself. Again, thanks mom!
I once had a friend who went YEARS without getting her oil changed because--QUOTE!--"I didn't think you had to change the oil on new cars." Yes. This is a real thing. *sigh*
So be honest: how many of the things on the list above can you do?