Keep everyone safe and happy with the following tips:
Keep chocolate out of the way.
Many pets are attracted to the smell and taste of chocolate. But in sufficient quantities, chocolate can make your pet very sick! Chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and other ailments. Keep all chocolate stored somewhere that your pet cannot get to it (counters are not good places - I know in my own household, the cat could knock chocolate off the countertop and right into the path of my enthusiastic and hungry dogs!).
Be careful with tinsel.
Although tinsel is very pretty and is a common decoration on trees, your pet may swallow it. This can cause an intestinal blockage which could cause your pet an unwanted trip to the vet. Think about using other types of decorations on your tree instead.
Be aware of pets and guests.
Some pets may wander out of the door during the hustle and bustle of the holidays, where guests may be coming in and out the door. If you have pets that have a tendency to make a break for the outdoors, you may want to keep them in a room or a kennel if you have guests coming and going all day long. It doesn't sound like the nicest thing - but you'll be able to check on them once in a while and play with them, while feeling secure that they're okay. It won't be a very happy holiday if your beloved pet goes missing!
Tie extension cords out of the way.
With all the pretty lights during the holiday season, you probably have a variety of extension cords running every which way. Keep an eye on your pet to make sure they don't chew these cords (or they could be in for a real shock!), and where possible tie cords out of the way. Some hardware stores also sell a plastic tubing into which you insert cords to keep your gnawing little pet from hurting itself.
Visit for more pet tips